Friday, 24 June 2016

I buried a dog today....

It was  just another lazy morning for me. I had plans to go for a book sale happening but I was exhausted. So I was just lying on my bed and watching Game of Thrones. My mum had gone out of the house for some work. When she came back, she ran into my room and said "Kallu is dead. He's been poisoned".

I immediately jumped out of my bed and ran outside. The fact that the friendly gentle giant (He was pretty big) was dead, just wasn't sinking in. I ran outside and mum followed me. I don't really know what I was feeling  but anger was definitely there. I was furious that someone could actually poison a dog! 

I reached there and I saw him. One would have thought he was sleeping. I went up to him and put my hand on him. I was hoping and praying that maybe just maybe he was not dead yet. Maybe there's still some life left in him. But the second I touched him, I knew he was dead. His body was completely stiff. His tongue had swollen up and was black. His eyes refused to open. I felt so helpless! I was hoping there would be some life left in him. At least that way, we could have taken him to the doctor and there might have been a chance for him to survive. But here was his lifeless body lying in the sun. 

He lived in front of the society next to mine and there was this girl who used to feed him everyday so we decided to call her. She was out of town but her mother and another girl (who also helped in feeding the dogs) came down. Now their society is known to hate dogs. So we knew for a fact that someone in their society had poisoned him.

We were all trying to figure out what to do with the body and finally decided to bury him in the park nearby. We jumped into the car and went to go look for a laborer to help us dig a hole. But as luck would have it, they had all already gone for work. Finally this guy heard us talking and agreed to dig a hole. He started digging the hole and we went to go get the dog. We grabbed packets of salt and a bed sheet. We then went to take the dog to the park to bury him. 

We gently picked up his stiff lifeless body and put him on the sheet. Every step towards the park, was breaking my heart. The thought that I would never see him again, never again be able to pet him or hear his happy crying at seeing me was making me sadder. At least if a car ran over him, there would have been some comfort in the fact that it was probably his fault (he had a habit of chasing cars).  But here a happy healthy dog was dead. We put his body in the hole. After petting him for one last time, we covered his body with salt and then sand.

This was a hard thing for me. Kallu was the first dead dog I have seen. It's been a rough day. It is things like this because of which I lose faith in humanity all together. This is going to sound crazy but I have never wanted someone to suffer and die but whoever killed Kallu, I sincerely hope they suffer as much as they made that poor helpless animal suffer. The worst part is that he must have not even known what was happening to him. The world is truly a cruel place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment